My latest refurbishing project: The Braun SK-2 from 1955
After completing around 25 projects refurbishing and modding old Gameboys I took a bit of a pause to do something else.
I set my sight on old transistor radios. I previously did a re-capping of the Braun T220 and after that project was done I bought an 1955 Braun SK2 on Ebay that was in need of a lot of love.
I won’t lie, this project has taken forever to finish. I did all the rookie mistakes, but hey that’s the best way to learn something new, isn’t it. Finally it’s completed and I can show you some photos. And if I may say so myself, damn it’s beautiful.
This is what I did:
- Glued and fixed a crack in the case.
- Removed all the yellowed paint on the case and front.
- Removed the original weave on the back of the front.
- Repainted the front with a semigloss white paint.
- Spray glued a new fine weave made of white linen on the backside of the front.
- Repainted the case with three coats of matte white paint, then water-sanded with a 1200 sandpaper.
- Scanned the original paper dial, which was very yellowed and with almost unreadable text. Cleaned up the image in Photoshop then printed a new one in high quality. I carefully sprayed the paper with a sealer and finally glued it to the front.