The title says it all. I just made my TR-interpretation patches free for download for anybody who wants their Sonic Potions LXR drum machine to sound Roland-ish. Get it on my free stuff page.
This is what it sounds like. Recorded live in one take and with only slight compression added afterwards. No other effects were used.
I’ve grown tired of how my website looks so today I decided to update its layout a bit. Voila, introducing a new header, new colors and a bit wider content-area. I just noticed that some of the music on the music pages has stopped working for some reason. I’ll fix that in a day or two. In the meantime, they’re all available on my Soundcloud page.
Edit: Fixed it.. 🙂
It’s a new year and I thought I’d just write a few words about the last one. 2016 may have been a strange year for the world but for me personally it was a pretty good one. For starters, I got to travel a lot. I visited Barcelona twice, then Sardinia, Amsterdam, Manchester and made some new friends in the process. It’s been a fun year with lots of positive energy.
Musically, I continued on my quest to finish an album with what I believe is great electronic music. I’m almost there and feel hopeful that it’s all done in the next couple of months. I also changed a few things in my studio – updated the eurorack modular and such. Sold the Monomachine since I didn’t use it that much.
So what else is up for 2017? Well in a week I’m starting a new job. It will be closer to what I enjoy working with which is interaction/UX/UI design for e-commerce. Also it will be much closer to home.
I will also attempt to build a TTSH, an Arp 2600 clone. More about that later.
Something I have been trying to fix for a long time is the annoying high pitched noise that I would hear in the background when recording sounds from my external gear. I guess it has been there more or less since I got my expensive Asus motherboard for the PC. That was years ago but it wasn’t really until I started building and using my modular synth that I started noticing the noise. Somehow it was enhanced by the modular to a degree where I couldn’t ignore it anymore.
I tried a lot of things to solve the issue including buying two kinds of audio ground isolators. They did work. Well sort of… First of all I had to use a lot of them, because I have a big selection of external gear I want to record. Secondly the isolators capped a good part of the lower end spectrum, so a bass sound or kick drum would sound very week. I could compensate with an EQ but it was just too much hassle and I would never get it to sound exactly like it did without the isolators.
There is this thing called an USB isolator which you can buy on the cheap from Amazon or from China, or whatever. And they really do work as promised, by removing just the USB noise and keeping everything else. The problem is, until now if you wanted an USB isolator that could be used for Hi-speed USB, meaning it should be able to shuffle enough data for more than two audio channels, they would cost in the range of $250-300. But luckily, technology tends to evolve and today a hi-speed USB Isolator is finally affordable.
HiFImeDIY is now selling a Hi-speed USB Isolator with a price tag of $79. I got mine a few weeks ago and I’m super happy with it. All USB noise is gone and I’ve had no problems like dropouts etc running 16 channels in 24 bit and 96 kHz sample rate.
So.. yeah I’m super happy. One less problem to worry about. 🙂
Haven’t decided yet if that is enough or if I should aim for a couple more tracks until I’m done. The ten tracks I have now totals in at 65 minutes. Hmm.. I guess there’s truly not something called a full length album anymore. When I released my last real CD album in 1999 a full lengther meant around 72 minutes. I’m not sure there’s a limit anymore, as long as it’s a digital release. I should get around to start the search for a label now though.